Making the Right Food Choices
Everywhere you turn, there is news about what is or isn’t good for you. Here are a few tips on making healthy food choices for you and your family.
Drink water before every meal. Choose lean meats. Cut back on high calorie snack foods like chips, cookies, cakes and ice cream. Choose whole grain foods over processed grain products. Try brown rice and whole wheat spaghetti. Include fish and dried beans (like pinto, kidney and lentils).
Eats fruits and vegetables at every meal and as snacks.
Eat non-starchy vegetables such as:
- Bamboo Shoots
- Beans (Yellow, Green)
- Brussels Sprouts
- Peppers (green, red, sweet, hot)
- Celery, Celery Leaves
- Greens (Collard)
- Onions, Scallions
Make sure to include proteins:
- Chicken or Turkey (white meat, no skin)
- Cornish Hen (no skin)
- Crab, Lobster, Scallops, Shrimp
- Venison, Buffalo, Ostrich,
- Cod, Flounder, Haddock, Halibut, Tuna (Canned in Water), Tilapia, Orange Roughy (fresh or frozen)
- Hardboiled Egg, Egg Whites, Egg Substitutes
- Tofu (soft or firm)
The best Fruit Choices are:
- Peach, Plum, Nectarine
- Rasberries or Blackberries